The boss tells Dave that there are going to be changes at Inappropriate Corporation, which may impact the staff. She knows that rumours about change can be stressful for people and bad for morale, and if this isn’t addressed it could lead to psychological injury and workers compensation claims.
Working with Dr Peter Cotton, Dave learns that fears about job security are a key driver of stress, and so is a lack of clear information about changing work practices and roles. Dave realises it’s time to stop the rumour mill and explain why change is occurring, and what it means for people.
Dr Cotton’s top tips
To better manage change in the workplace, leaders should provide:
- Clear rationale for change
- Clear information about the effect on people and their jobs
- Support packages and/or retraining for staff
- Be visible. Be available
- Show realistic expectations of a worker’s new role
- Source information and answers as needed
Comcare – Supporting your workers during times of change